New Year Countdown Calculator
Our new year countdown calculator tells you exactly how much time will pass between a date of your choice and the next New Year's Eve. In this short article, you'll learn about New Year's Eve, why we celebrate it, how to subtract two dates quickly on the calendar, and much more.
Are you ready for the countdown clock for the new year's celebration?
Why do we celebrate the new year? The origin of the new year's countdown
New Year's Eve is just a date on the calendar that marks an arbitrary (and moving!) point of Earth's orbit around the sun. But as it separates two years, we see it as an important occurrence in our lives. Whether you celebrate it or not, humanity (even in different moments, depending on the culture) counts down to zero on the last day of the year, prepared to start a new day after.
Propositions are made, good or bad memories are brought up, and we gather with people close to us. Fireworks light up the sky (often much more than they should), and maybe too many inhibitions are lost. Every place on Earth has its traditions for celebrating the coming of the New Year, but undeniably, one of the shared ones is a countdown to this special moment.
Calculate the new year countdown
It's time to get ready for New Year's countdown: calculate with us the number of days, hours, minutes, and second between any starting date and 23:59:59 of the 31st December.
To calculate your new year's clock and countdown, follow these easy steps:
- Choose the starting date.
- Consider the day after it, and count the days between this day and the 30th December. To do so:
- Consider the days in the first month, from the day after the starting date to the last day of the month.
- Add to this number 30 days for the December's contribution.
- Count the days in each month between the starting one and December, and sum them to the result of the last step.
- If the starting date and the final date are in December, subtract the day after the starting date from 30 to calculate your new year countdown's number of full days.
- Move to the hours, minutes, and seconds to complete our new year's countdown clock. Firstly, count the number of hours on the first day:
- Subtract the number of seconds of the starting date from 00. Borrow 60 seconds if necessary, and in this case, reduce the number of minutes by one.
- Do the same for the minutes, borrowing hours if necessary.
- Subtract the number of hours of the starting date from 24, adjusted after the eventual borrowing.
- Sum the result of step 4. to 23:59:59, starting from the seconds. If seconds and minutes sum to more than 59, carry over 1 to the quantity on the left. Sum the hours, eventually adjusted if they sum to more than 23, and add one day to the countdown.
In this section, we detailed how to calculate the new year countdown clock for a generic situation, but you will likely have to add one day to the countdown, as it will happen for every starting time except for the first second of the day (00:00:00).
What to count for after the New Year's countdown is over
The new year started, and the celebrations are over. What to look forward to now? Our suite of tools related to countdown and special occasions is here to help. Try the:
- Countdown calculator;
- Vacation countdown calculator;
- Retirement countdown calculator;
- Birthday countdown calculator;
- Time until calculator;
- Day countdown calculator;
- Days until calculator;
- Date countdown calculator;
- Wedding countdown calculator;
- Pregnancy countdown calculator;
- Hour countdown calculator; and
- Calendar countdown calculator.
How many days are in the new year's countdown from Halloween?
There are almost 61 days between Halloween and New Year's Eve. To find this number, follow these simple steps:
- Start your countdown from the 1st November (the first full day after your starting date).
- Count all the days in November: there are 30 of them.
- Count the December days leading up to New Year's Eve. There are 30 days plus 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds.
- Run your countdown in days for 60 days, then go for the hours!
How do you calculate the new year countdown?
To calculate the new year countdown from any date:
- If the starting date is in December, count the days from the day after to the 30th December.
- If not, count the days in the first month from the day after the starting one, and sum the result to 30.
- Count the days in the months between the two dates.
- Sum all the contributions.
- Calculate the hours between the starting one and midnight, and sum them to 23:59:59. Adjust the number of days if necessary.
until the new year! 🎆🎇