The midsegment of a trapezoid calculator, allows you to obtain the length of the midsegment or median of a trapezoid. The median of a trapezoid is a line parallel to the bases placed in the midpoint between them. With this tool, you will learn the midsegment of a trapezoid formula and how to find the midsegment of any trapezoid.
What is the median of a trapezoid?
The median or midsegment of a trapezoid is a line parallel to the trapezoid's bases, which crosses the midpoint between them. It extends from one non-parallel side to the other.
Given the length of one base, you can use the midsegment to find the length of the other. Let's take a look at the midsegment of a trapezoid formula to learn how.
Midsegment of a trapezoid formula
The median or midsegment of an
ABCD trapezoid formula is straightforward. We just need the length of each of the bases ( and ), add them, and then divide the result by two:
This is the same as finding the median or average value between the bases, hence the name. If you find any two variables, you can obtain the other with ease by replacing the values in the equation above, or simply use the midsegment of a trapezoid calculator, and it will do the work for you 😉.
How do I find the midsegment of a trapezoid?
To find the midsegment of a trapezoid:
- Measure and write down the length of the two parallel bases.
- Add the two numbers.
- Divide the result by two. This is the length of the midsegment.
You can verify the result with the midsegment of a trapezoid calculator or take a look at our trapezoid calculator to learn more.
Other useful tools
In this text, we have covered:
- Median of a trapezoid definition;
- Median of a trapezoid formula; and
- How to find the midsegment of a trapezoid.
Feel free to read through the FAQ section or try other useful tools, similar to the midsegment of a trapezoid calculator:
- Trapezoid calculator
- Area of a trapezoid calculator
- Trapezoid perimeter calculator
- Trapezoid side calculator
- Trapezoid angle calculator
- Trapezoid height calculator
- Isosceles trapezoid calculator
- Isosceles trapezoid area calculator
- Right trapezoid calculator
- Right trapezoid area calculator
- Area of an irregular trapezoid calculator
How many midsegments does a trapezoid have?
A trapezoid has only one midsegment. The midsegment is a line that extends from one non-parallel side to the other, is parallel to the bases, and is placed at the midpoint between them.
How long is the midsegment of a trapezoid with 2 cm bases?
The midsegment of a trapezoid with
2 cm bases is
2 cm. The formula for the midsegment is
(AB + CD) / 2, and since AB and CD are identical, the result and the bases' lengths are equal in number.