Omni's cm to km conversion tool is here to help you solve various conversion tasks, be they real life challenges or math assignment problems. Among all the different length units, we focus here on centimeters and kilometers. In what follows, we discuss:
- What the kilometers and centimeters are;
- How to convert cm to km; and
- How to efficiently use this Omni converter.
Meters, kilometers, and centimeters
The kilometers and centimeters are units of length derived from the meter, which is the base length unit. The prefixes kilo- and centi- describe how the derivation works: kilo means a thousand of while centi means a hundredth part. So:
- 1 km =1000 m; and
- 1 cm = 0.01 m.
Jumping every time through meters is not necessary: it's much quicker to use directly the following km to cm conversion factors:
- 1 km = 100,000 cm = 105 cm; and
- 1 cm = 0.00001 km = 10-5 km.
Let's learn how to convert kilometers to meters and vice-versa!
How do I convert cm to km?
To convert cm to km, you need to:
- Write down the length given in centimeters.
- Divide by 100,000. That's it!
- Tip: dividing by 100,000 is the same as moving the decimal separator five positions to the left! Write down extra zeroes if there are not enough decimal places.
How to use this cm to km conversion tool?
Omni's cm to km converter is very simple to use:
- Enter the length in cm or km, depending on what data you have.
- Our tool displays the length in the other unit.
- As you can see, our converter knows many more length units! If you wish, play with them a bit!
Other Omni length converters
Converting length units can be time-consuming, and we all know it. To help you with this (let's face it, daunting) task, Omni offers the following collection of tools:
How do I convert km to cm?
To perform the km to cm conversion, follow these simple steps:
- Write down the length in kilometers.
- Multiply by 100,000. That's it!
- Tip: this multiplication is equivalent to moving the decimal separator five positions to the right! Not enough decimal places? Pad with zeroes!
How much is 0.5 km in centimeters?
0.5 km is
50,000 cm. To arrive at this result, we recall that
1 km = 100,000 cm, so we have :
0.5 km = 0.5 × 100,000 cm = 50,000 cm, as claimed.
How many kilometers are in 1000 cm?
1000 cm equals
0.01 km. This is because
1 cm = 0.00001 km, so we perform the conversion by the following computation:
1000 cm = 1000 × 0.00001 km = 0.01 km.