Dog Crate Size Calculator
With the dog crate size calculator, you will find out how big a dog crate should be for your pup. You will also learn the following:
- Why you should consider getting a crate; and
- How to measure your dog to fit one.
Omni loves dogs! We made many tools to help you give the best care to your pups. Check if they drink enough water in our dog water intake calculator or use the dog calorie calculator to check if your dog is under or overfed.
Should I get a dog crate?
Here are several reasons you might want to get a dog crate:
- If you're getting a puppy, a dog crate can help with potty training.
- A crate is often a safe space for a dog. Dogs naturally seek isolated spaces when they are scared or need rest.
- Crates are useful during travel and often necessary on flights.
- And finally, crates will help you keep your mind at ease when you're not there to supervise your pup.
In the end, it's up to you. But if you start using a dog kennel, be sure it's not too small by using our dog crate size calculator, and learn how to crate train your dog — never force it.
How big should a dog crate be?
2 to 4 inches more than the size of your dog. A perfect dog crate is one where your dog can comfortably:
- Stand up (without crouching);
- Turn around; and
- Lie down with stretched-out legs.
At the same time, a kennel can't be too big (especially for a puppy still learning to hold its bladder and not destroy things). You can find the perfect kennel size with our dog crate size calculator.
How to measure a dog for a crate?
To find the dimensions of a dog kennel, take a tape measure and find two measurements:
- Height — With your dog sitting, measure them from the ground to the top of the head or, if they have spikey ears, to the top of the ears.
- Length — With your dog standing, measure them from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail.
Add 2 (if you have a smaller dog) to 4 inches (if you have a bigger dog) to those measurements. These are the perfect dog kennel dimensions.
Keep reading to learn what to do if you need a crate for a puppy. You can check how big your dog is likely to become once it's fully grown with our dog size calculator.
What kennel size should I get for a 50 pound dog?
Different breeds of dogs are built differently. Also, dogs within a breed can vary in size. It's better to measure your dog rather than weigh it. To find the perfect dog kennel size:
- Find your dog's height (from the ground to the top of the head) and length (from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail).
- Add two to four inches to your measurements.
- That's the dog kennel dimensions you want.
You can also save time by using our dog crate size calculator.
How big should a puppy crate be?
Consider how big it can grow if you're looking for a crate for your puppy. It's best to get a bigger kennel, as you would for a grown dog, and add a divider. This way, the kennel will "grow" with your puppy.
Don't disregard the divider. If you leave your puppy in too big a crate, it might use one side as a potty.