Dog Water Intake Calculator
Do you sometimes wonder if your dog drinks enough water, or maybe it drinks too much? This dog water intake calculator tells you how much water a puppy should drink daily, depending on its weight and activity level. You can also check our dog BMI calculator to make sure both those factors are suitable for them.
Below you will find answers to "How much water should a dog drink a day?" or "Why is my dog drinking so much water?". Use the calculator to check if the oz of water per day my pet drinks is enough!
From a practical point of view, you should be aware of the signs of dehydration in your pet, as severe dehydration can lead to death. If you see any of them, try to give them a bit of water and go directly to the vet.
How much water should a dog drink?
On average, a dog needs 50 - 100 ml of water per day per kg of body weight, or, equivalently, 0.85 - 1.75 US fl oz of water per one pound. Numerous factors influence how much water should a puppy drink:
- Size - The water intake is measured per kg, so if you have a tiny chihuahua, it may appear to drink very little. On the other hand, with a German Shepard you need to refill the bowl a couple of times a day. If your dog is still a puppy, you may predict how much it will grow with our dog size calculator.
- Age - Adult dogs often drink when they need to and are not at risk of drinking too much or too little. It's different with puppies and elderly pets - you may have to monitor their water intake more meticulously. Estimate your dog's age in human years with the dog age calculator.
- Exercise - A puppy that runs and plays a lot is going to need more water, just like humans. Our dog water intake calculator takes this factor into account.
- Weather - If it's hot and sunny, your dog will surely need more water, especially when walking outside. Remember to take a bottle and bowl on walks in the summer and offer it often.
- Food - If your dog eats only dry food, it needs to drink much more water than those puppies that get wet food.
- Medication - some drugs may make your dog more thirsty. Consult with a vet every time your dog gets a new medication.
How much water does a dog need - signs of dehydration
As in humans, there are some signs of dehydration in your pets that should make you think your dog is not drinking enough.
The first thing you'll see that changes are their gums and eyes. They should be bright, moist, and shiny. Darker gums and sticky saliva should make you think of dehydration. Also, a dog that doesn't drink enough may seem lethargic and reluctant to drink water, which are signs of severe dehydration.
While petting your puppy, check for skin elasticity - if you pull it, it should flatten immediately after letting go. And lastly, on walks, take a look at your dog's urine - if your pet is well hydrated, their urine should be of light color and not smell strong.
Remember that our dog water intake calculator doesn't exactly say how long can a dog go without water. It gives only an estimated value of the water amount your dog may need. If you notice any of the signs of dehydration listed above, you should immediately give your dog a bowl of water!
The dog water intake calculator
This how much water should my dog drink calculator is easy to use and quickly answers the question "How much water does a dog need?". The result depends on two factors: activity level and the dog's weight. If your dog is not active, it needs 0.85 US fl oz per lb of weight. On the other hand, an active pet would need 1.7 US fl oz per lb. A dog who experiences regular daily activity should drink 1.25 US fl oz per lb. Check also our dog calorie calculator to make sure they eat just enough.
Remember that our dog water intake calculator has a built-in units converter. The values for how much water should a dog drink a day in SI units are 55 ml per kg of body weight for low activity levels, 80 ml/kg for regular activity, and 110 for very active dogs.
This is a two-step tool. First, choose the level of activity of your doggo from the list. Then, input its weight.
The result the dog water intake calculator gives is the amount of water the pet should drink daily. Keep in mind that if your dog is sick, it's boiling outside, or you give them dry/wet food, the water intake will most likely differ.
Why is my dog drinking so much water?
The causes of excessive water drinking may vary. They include common reasons, like increased activity or hot weather, to real life-threatening conditions such as:
- Kidney disease;
- Diabetes mellitus;
- Hypercalcemia (high calcium levels in blood); and
- Pyometra (uterine infection in unspayed females).
If your dog has any of those issues, it probably also urinates often or is lethargic and a bit out of energy. You should immediately consult a vet.
How to get my dog to drink water?
To encourage your dog to drink more water:
- Praise them every time they drink water, and, if you think it worthwhile, give them a treat.
- Keep water near, and keep it fresh.
- Bring water along on walks and offer it to the puppy often, especially on hot and sunny days.
- Add some flavor to the water, e.g., flavored ice cubes, tuna, or broth.
- Give them wet food or soak up the dry food with a cup of water - they'll drink a bit more while eating.
Remember to check how much oz of water per day (or milliliters) they drink. Maybe they are drinking enough, it's just you never see them do it, or you think they spill most of it over the floor. If it's hard to measure the amount of water, look for the signs of dehydration mentioned above.
How long can my dog go without water?
Dogs can go three to four days without water. This doesn't mean a dog should be deprived of water that long. Even after one day the signs of dehydration appear and may lead to lethargy, loss of consciousness and weakness.
How much water should a dog drink a day?
A dog should drink 0.85-1.75 US fl oz of water per day/lb of body weight. The total daily intake varies depending on the size, age, weather, level of activity and general health of your dog.
What can dogs drink besides water?
In general, your dog should drink only water.
You may add some flavors to make it more encouraging. There are also some approved canine drinks that you can give to your pup. Remember, a dog can't drink any alcohol. Milk, tea, and coffee are also not recommended.