Decagon Area Calculator
This decagon area calculator will help you quickly determine the area of a regular decagon. A decagon is a regular polygon with 10 sides. These 10 sides are equal in measurement and comprise the perimeter of the decagon. Like any polygon, a decagon has an enclosed space or area that we can calculate using geometry and trigonometry.
Keep on reading to discover:
- How to find the area of a decagon;
- How to use this decagon area calculator; and
- Some frequently asked questions about decagon.
How to find the area of a decagon
To find the area of a decagon, we can use the area formula of any regular polygon, as shown below:
- is the area of a regular polygon;
- is the regular polygon's number of sides;
- is the length of the regular polygon's side;
- is the incircle radius or apothem of the regular polygon
Since we want to find the area of a decagon, we can replace with . Consequently, we can find the value of using and with the help of this equation:
That said, we can simplify the regular polygon's area formula by replacing with and with that function to have:
We can simplify it further to but isn't it nice to know how we derived this area of a regular decagon formula? 🙂
Now, let's say we have a decagon with a side that measures . Using our decagon area formula, we get:
How to use this calculator
This tool is very straightforward. To find the area of a regular decagon, all you have to do is:
- Enter the measurement of side (a); or
- Input other measurements of your decagon like its perimeter (which is only ), circumcircle radius (R) (equal to ), or the apothem (r).
Other related calculators
Finding this tool interesting? Here are some of our other polygon tools that you might find interesting too:
How do I calculate decagon area?
To calculate the decagon area:
- Measure the side of the decagon. Let's say we get
- Square the side of the decagon.
2 inches × 2 inches = 4 in².
- Multiply the squared side by 2.5/tan(18°) or 7.694208843 to have:
4 in² × 7.694208843 = 30.77683537 in²
≈ 30.777 in².
What is the area of a decagon with a side of 3 cm?
The area of a 3-cm-sided decagon is approximately 69.25 cm². We get that value by substituting 3 cm as the value of
a in this formula:
decagon area = 7.694208843 × a².
Substituting 3 cm, we get:
decagon area = 7.694208843 × (3 cm)²
= 7.694208843 × 9 cm²
= 69.24787959 cm²
≈ 69.25 cm²