The drywall calculator, alternatively called the sheetrock calculator, is a handy tool for determining how much drywall do you need to cover all walls (and the ceiling) in your room. It can be used together with our paint calculator. Use it to quickly estimate the number of sheetrock panels you have to buy and make sure to never overspend on drywall again!
What is drywall (sheetrock)?
Drywall is a construction material that has also other names: plasterboard, wallboard, gypsum panel, sheetrock, or gypsum board. A drywall sheet is a panel made of gypsum that is often used to make interior walls or ceilings.
Drywall is a great alternative to plaster because it does not require drying - if you have some experience, you can easily finish drywalling the entire house in just a few days. Installation is really easy: all you have to do is to cut it to an appropriate size and then nail or screw it in place.
Remember that drywall is not water resistant. Do not use it in kitchens or bathrooms, as the moisture will cause it to quickly soften and eventually turn into a gooey paste. A cement board and tiles should be used in these rooms instead.
How much drywall do I need?
If you want our drywall estimator to calculate the number of panels you need, you will have to provide it with some data regarding your room. Make sure to input the following information:
- Room dimensions: you need to type in the length, width, and height of your room.
- Ceiling: choose whether you want to include the ceiling in your calculations.
- Room surface area: this value will be calculated automatically. Still, if your room has a different shape that a rectangular cuboid, you can also input the surface area directly into our drywall calculator.
- Doors: you can choose the default dimensions or type in custom ones. One you will type in the number of doors in the room, the drywall estimator will find their total area automatically.
- Windows: again, you can leave the default dimensions of windows or customize them. If the windows vary in size, you can also calculate the total area manually.
- Drywall panel type: choose the size of drywall panels you are going to buy. Our drywall calculator lists four most common sizes: 4' x 8', 4' x 9', 4' x 10' and 4' x 12'.
Once you have decided on all of the values listed above, the sheetrock estimator will automatically display the number of drywall panels that you need. Remember to buy a bit more (ideally, 10% more) to account for all cut-outs and waste.
Using the drywall estimator to calculate the costs
You can also use the drywall calculator to find out what will be the total cost of all panels. Simply input the unit price (it is typically $10 to $15 per panel, depending on its dimensions). The calculator will display the total cost of sheetrock that you need to purchase.