Whether you are planning to repaint your bedroom or painting all rooms in your brand new house, this interior paint calculator is here to help you determine how much paint you need. You will be able to customize the paint estimation basing on the amount of openings or paint coats. You can also calculate the final cost of paint required!
How much paint do I need?
You will have to input some data into the paint calculator. It includes:
- Room dimensions: you need to type in the length, width and height of the room you are going to paint. If your room has a different shape that a rectangular cuboid, you can also input the surface area directly into the paint estimator. The value calculated automatically takes into account the walls only.
- Doors: you can leave the default dimensions of doors or customize them. One you will type in the amount of doors in the room, the paint calculator will find their total area automatically.
- Windows: again, you can choose the default dimensions or type in custom ones. If you have windows of different sizes in your room, you can also calculate the total area manually and input this value into the appropriate box.
- Number of coats: by default, our calculator finds the amount of paint required for one layer, but you can determine the number of coats yourself.
- Paint efficiency: this number should be written on the paint can, expressed in m²/l or ft²/l.
- Cost per unit: Optionally, you can input the cost of a unit of paint (cost per liter or per gallon). The paint calculator will automatically find the total cost of paint.
Is the paint estimation accurate?
Obviously, it won't be a hundred percent accurate. If the surface is porous or rough, it will require additional paint - up to 20%. Similarly, complicated fittings require extra paint.
You also need to add some paint - up to 30% - if you are painting a surface for the very first time for preparation work.
Lastly, our interior paint calculator does not include the ceiling, so if you want to include it, you need to plan some extra paint for that.