Pie Chart Percentage Calculator
The pie chart percentage calculator is here to help you create a pie chart — so a chart of percentages of a given dataset. Read on to learn how to calculate pie chart percentages given raw data or angles.
What is a pie chart used for?
A pie chart is a graph you can use when you want to visualize proportions in categorical data. It's called a pie chart because, like a pie, it's circular and divided into slices. The slices represent different categories of your data. Each slice shows how much of the data belongs to a certain category, making it easy to see how big each category is compared to the whole.
How to calculate pie chart percentages?
To calculate pie chart percentages:
- Find the total of all observations in a dataset.
- Divide each observation category value by the total.
- Multiply by 100. These are the corresponding percentages of each group from the total.
If you also want to create a pie chart, then for each category:
- Multiply the value from point 2 by 360°.
- Create a sector with this degree measure in a pie chart.
Repeat for all other categories. All the segments together should create a full circle.
If you don't know the values of each category, you can find the percentages from the angle values with an equation:
Percentage = (Angle/360°) × 100%. Additionally, if you know the total value of the dataset, you can recover the value of each category by multiplying the total value by the percentage of each category.
How to use our pie chart percentage calculator?
To use our calculator and generate a circle graph with percentages:
- Find the number of items/values that fall into different categories. In our calculator, you can create a pie chart with up to 20 different groups.
- Enter values for each group.
- For each group, the calculator will find the percentage fraction of the total, as well as the central angle of the slice on a pie chart.
Other similar calculators
To learn more about pie charts, percentages, or fractions, go to one of our other calculators:
How to make a pie chart with percentages?
To create a pie chart with percentages:
- Draw a circle and a straight line from the center of the circle to its side. By adding segments in this circle, you'll make a pie chart.
- Turn the first category percentage into a fraction. For example, 40% would be equal to
If you don't know the percentage, calculate it by dividing the category value by the value of the total observations:
Category value / Total observations × 100%
- Multiple it by 360°. That's the central angle of a segment on a pie chart. On the circle, measure the angle from the previously drawn line, and mark the segment.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each category. Start each segment at the end of the previous one.
- In the end, you should have a completely filled circle graph with visualized percentages.
Does a pie chart have to equal 100?
Yes. A pie chart is a way to show categories in a data set (so parts of a specific total). The total value of the data set is always equal to 100%, and each category is a fraction of that data.