Aspect Ratio Calculator
This aspect ratio calculator (also, very handy, a screen size calculator) will answer all of your questions regarding what aspect ratio is and how to use it. In brief, aspect ratio and screen size are two very essential, quick, and comfortable measures used when you want to resize your images or videos for the purpose of adapting them to the requirements of your project (along with PPI, pixels per inch).
What is aspect ratio?
Aspect ratio is a proportional relationship between the width and height of an image. It is usually described with two numbers and a semicolon between them — for example,
2:1. This means that the width of the image is twice its height. It's a very useful concept for resizing photos or videos for your blog or social media account.
How to calculate aspect ratio?
Applying the aspect ratio calculator is very easy. You need to divide the original height by the original width and then multiply this number by the new width to get the new height. These steps will give you the correct height for your edited image.
- Take your original height. In our example, it will be
- Take your original width. Our image has a width of
- Divide the height by the width, e.g.,
1200 / 1600 = 0.75
- Multiply the quotient by the preferred width, e.g.,
0.75 * 300 = 225
- The resulting figure is your new height given in pixels.
What is screen size?
Screen size detects the physical dimensions of your display in inches and indicates the number of pixels that can be displayed on the screen of your computer. It's essential for all you webmasters out there to be able to calculate screen size.
In order to do that, you can either calculate it on your own or use our calculator. Read the next section to learn how.
How to calculate screen size?
The first thing you need to do when calculating screen size is choose your aspect ratio. Then, you must measure any of these two measurements: width or height. It is enough to give one of them, and the rest will be calculated automatically in your preferred units.
- Set up your aspect ratio.
- Give one of the measures: width or height.
- Choose your preferred units: centimeters, inches, meters, feet, etc.
If you are interested in ratios, you can also check out our proportion calculator and our golden ratio calculator
You can easily resize your image with our aspect ratio calculator. It's a quick and easy tool used by many webmasters.
How do I find the aspect ratio of my screen?
To determine the aspect ratio of a screen:
- Measure the width and height of the screen.
- Divide the width by the height.
- Compare the result with the popular aspect ratios, e.g.,
16:9, to determine which standard your screen follows.
How do I calculate 16:9 aspect ratio?
To make sure you'll get a screen with an aspect ratio of
- If you know the screen's height, multiply it by
16/9to get the necessary width.
- If you know the screen's width, multiply it by
9/16to get the required height.