Trig Function Calculator
This trig function calculator prints the value of the six trig functions given the angle in degrees or radians. In the article below, we explain:
- What are the 6 trig functions; and
- How to calculate those trig functions.
In the FAQ section, we present the value of the trig functions for some of the most common angles: the values of the six trig functions for 45 degrees and 270 degrees.
The 6 trig functions.
Sine, cosine, and tangent
Sine, cosine, and tangent are the trigonometric functions of an angle. The most common way to define them is by using a right triangle and one of its angles (the angle of interest).
First, let's remember the names of the three sides of a right triangle:
- Hypotenuse: The longest side, always opposite to the right angle;
- Opposite side: The side opposite to the angle of interest (α); and
- Adjacent side: The side of the triangle that is neither the hypotenuse nor the opposite side.
As you can note, the hypotenuse and adjacent side form the reference angle (α).
Then, the trigonometric functions are defined as:
sin(α) = opposite/hypotenuse
cos(α) = adjacent/hypotenuse
tan(α) = opposite/adjacent
🙋 In summary, we use the right triangle to easily define the reference angle and calculate the trigonometric functions based on the lengths of the sides.
Cosecant, secant, and cotangent
Cosecant (csc), secant (sec), and cotangent (cot) are simply the reciprocals of the three previous functions:
csc(α) = 1/sin(α) = hypotenuse/opposite
sec(α) = 1/cos(α) = hypotenuse/adjacent
cot(α) = 1/tan(α) = adjacent/opposite
Other trig functions calculators.
To learn more about this topic, you can visit our trigonometric functions calculator article and the following tools:
- Exact value of trig functions calculator;
- Trig degree calculator; and
- Theta calculator.
What are the values of the six trig functions for 45 degrees?
The values of the six trig functions for 45 degrees are:
- sin(45°) = √2/2 ≈ 0.70710678
- cos(45°) = √2/2 ≈ 0.70710678 (the same as sin(45°))
- tan(45°) = 1
- sec(45°) = √2 ≈ 1.41421356
- csc(45°) = √2 ≈ 1.41421356 (the same as sec(45°))
- cot(45°) = 1
What are the values of the 6 trig functions for 270 degrees?
The values of the 6 trig functions for 270 degrees are:
- sin(270°) = -1
- cos(270°) = 0
- tan(270°) = undefined
- sec(270°) = 0
- csc(270°) = undefined
- cot(270°) = -1