Area of a Square Calculator
If you forgot how to find the area of a square, you're in the right place - this simple area of a square calculator is the answer to your problems. Whether you want to find the area knowing the square side or you need to calculate the side from a given area, this tool lends a helping hand. Read on and refresh your memory to find out what is the area of a square and to learn the formula behind the calculator. If you also need to calculate the diagonal of a square, check out this square calculator.
How to find the area of a square - formulas
The area of a square is the product of the length of its sides:
where is a square side.
Other formulas also exist. Depending on which parameter is given, you can use the following equations:
- if you know the diagonal;
- if the perimeter is given (you can learn how to find in every possible way with our perimeter of a square calculator);
- knowing circumradius ; and
- in terms of the inradius .
What is the area of a square?
The area of a square is the number of square units needed to completely fill a square. To understand that definition, let's have a look at this picture of a chessboard:
The board has a squared shape, with its side divided into eight parts, in total, it consists of 64 small squares. Assume that one small square has a side length equal to . The area of the square may be understood as the amount of paint necessary to cover the surface. So, from the formula for the area of a square, we know that , and it's our unit of area in the chessboard case (amount of paint). The area of a 2 x 2 piece of the chessboard is then equal to 4 squares - so it's , and we need to use 4 times more "paint". Full chessboard area equals : from the formula, or it's just 64 small squares with area - so we need 64 times more "paint" than for one single square.
You may also be interested in checking out the area of the largest square inscribed in a circumference with our square in a circle calculator!
How to use the area of a square calculator
Let's give the area of a square calculator a try!
- Find out the given value. In our example, assume we know the side and want to calculate the area.
- Type it into the proper box. Enter the value, e.g., inches, into the side box.
- The area appears! It's . If you are interested in how many square feet it is, change the unit by clicking on the unit name.