Table of contentsWhy you should know how much fuel you will need and the cost before buying gas for your tripProcess used by our fuel cost calculator to find how much gas you will need as well as the cost of your tripWhat is the best way to take a road trip on a small budget?FAQs
So you planned that trip, and now you are looking for a fuel cost calculator to ensure you will not need to sing for your dinner later. Well, you have come to the right place. Our fuel cost calculator helps you figure out the amount of fuel you will need for your trip. Additionally, it calculates the amount of money you will spend to buy gas to avoid any unexpected shortfall.
Keep reading if you would like to learn:
- The reason why you need to budget carefully for your trip.
- The formula we used to calculate how much gas you will need.
- How we calculated the total cost of gas for your road trip.
- Whether it is cheaper to drive or fly for your long-distance trip.
- How to take a road trip without breaking the bank.
- The process used to calculate the fuel cost per month.
- How much does a gallon of fuel weigh?
If your ideal vacation trip includes little green men on Mars, this space travel calculator may be just what you need.
Why you should know how much fuel you will need and the cost before buying gas for your trip
With the price of gas going up daily and your buying power steadily declining due to inflation, the unfortunate truth is that it is unwise to plan a road trip without first calculating the cost of gas. After all, gas is not the only thing you will need.
Before you plan your trip, you need to recognize that there can be lots of unexpected expenses when you are away from home. As such careful planning and a detailed budget are most important for a worry-free trip. You can typically expect to spend money on:
- Emergency repairs;
- Gas; and
- Emergency medical care.
Process used by our fuel cost calculator to find how much gas you will need as well as the cost of your trip
To calculate how much fuel you will need, here is the formula used by our fuel cost calculator:
Fuel amount= Distance / Fuel efficiency
For instance, if you wish to travel 100 km with a vehicle with a fuel efficiency of 5 kilometers per liter, substitute these variables into the formula above:
Fuel amount= 100 / 5 = 20 liters
Our calculator also uses the amount of fuel and the cost of gas in your area to calculate the total cost of your trip. For this, we use the following formula:
Trip cost = Fuel amount × Fuel price
So using the amount of fuel given in the above problem, if the price of gas was $7, then to calculate the amount of money needed for the trip, we put these values into the formula, and we get:
Trip cost = 20 × 7 = $140
What is the best way to take a road trip on a small budget?
If you are planning a road trip for your vacation, but your budget is relatively small, here are a few things you can do:
- Go during the offseason. Vacation rentals cost less in the offseason. This price reduction is because the demand for these places is relatively low during the off-season. So owners and agents reduce the price to attract more visitors.
- Take a road trip with others willing to share the cost. Sharing the cost will reduce your individual payment. For instance, if the fuel price for the trip is $1000, you will pay less by splitting that cost five ways between friends. You can do this using our gas cost calculator.
- Try camping to reduce the cost of accommodation. Campsites cost less than the average hotel.
- Research fun, entertaining activities that you and your friends can do free of cost or for a small fee. For example, use a map to explore with your team rather than hiring a tour guide.
- Pack food that you can quickly fix on the go rather than eating in restaurants. The cost of food can eat into your vacation money. As such, finding ways to eat for less can make the difference in the amount and type of activities you will be able to engage in.
Is it cheaper to drive or fly for long distances?
Due to the additional costs for items such as food and accommodation for several days, a road trip across great distances can cost significantly higher for long-distance trips than flying. This can, of course, be affected by these factors:
- Number of persons on the trip;
- Whether the cost is shared or not; and
- Type of accommodation used.
How do I calculate fuel cost?
To calculate the fuel cost, we use one of the following formulas:
- Fuel cost = (Distance / Efficiency per gallon) × Cost per gallon
- Fuel cost = (Distance / [100 × Consumption per 100 mi]) × Cost per gallon
Use the first formula if you have the car's efficiency in miles per gallon (mpg).
On the other hand, we use the second formula if the consumption is in gallons per 100 miles.
How do I calculate fuel cost per month?
To find the fuel cost per month:
- Multiply the distance per day by the number of days per month.
- Divide this by your vehicle’s efficiency per gallon.
- Multiply the answer by the price per gallon.
How much does a gallon of gas weigh?
A gallon of gasoline weighs approximately 6.073 lbs in the US.
Gasoline contains additives that affect its final weight. These vary from country to country. As such, it is impossible to give an exact weight worldwide.
Addiction calculator tells you how much shorter your life would be if you were addicted to alcohol, cigarettes, cocaine, methamphetamine, methadone, or heroin.
With our balloon arch calculator, you will find exactly how many balloons you need for the perfect balloon arch!
Flight radiation calculator is a tool that helps calculate the radiation dose you get during your airplane travel.