If you are wondering how many sheets of paper are in a ream, check out this paper quantity converter. The printing industry has its own measures of quantity - quires, reams, bundles, and bales are not the only units in which you can express the number of sheets of paper. Give this converter a go, or keep reading to learn more about paper quantities.
How many sheets of paper in a ream?
Well, it depends on the type of paper you are using. The most probable is that your ream of paper consists of 500 identical sheets.
The following reams are still in use:
- Ream, sometimes called long ream: 500 sheets - international standard value, standard printing/writing paper.
- Short ream: 480 sheets - certain types of specialist papers may be sold in short reams, e.g., tissue, greaseproof or handmade paper.
- Perfect ream or Printer's ream: 516 sheets - the measure taking into account the waste incurred during paper handling and printing.
If you are interested in converting other units, our quantity converter is just the tool for you.
How many sheets in a quire?
The usual meaning of the quire is 25 sheets of paper. Sometimes for the special types of paper, it's equal to 24 sheets (2 dozen). One quire is 1/20 of the ream. It doesn't matter which type of ream we are taking:
- 1 (long) ream = 20 (long) quires = 500 sheets
- 1 short ream = 20 short quires = 480 sheets
Are you in the printing business? Then be sure to check our paper thickness calculator to reduce the chances of using the wrong paper in your printer and avoid those annoying paper jam moments.
How to use our paper quantity converter?
Assuming you want to print out concert posters, but you need special paper sold in short reams:
- Enter the value into the proper box. Let's assume you need to print 1000 posters. Type the value into the first box using the sheets unit.
- Our paper quantity converter shows the result in four different measurements.
- If you want to know how many short reams you will need, but this measurement is not displayed in the initial results, click on the options available in the dropdown menu to change it to the unit of your choice. Select the short ream. The value we were after is 2.1, so buying two short reams is not enough.
Interested in learning more about the weight of the paper you wish to use? Check out our paper weight calculator.