Cubic Yards to Tons Converter
Using this cubic yards to tons converter, you can estimate the mass in tons of any substance of known density from its volume in cubic yards. Not only that, with our tool, you can convert the mass in metric tons to US tons, long tons, pounds, and kilograms and vice versa. We also explain how to convert the mass in metric tons to long tons and US tons.
In this converter, you can also find answers to questions like
- how much does a metric ton weigh;
- are short tons the same as metric tons; and
- what does a ton mean?
What does cubic yard stand for?
A cubic yard (cu yd) is the volume of a cube with the length, width, and height of one yard (yd).
- 1 yd = 3 ft 36 in = 0.9144 m
- 1 cu yd = 27 ft3 = 0.76 m3
What does a ton mean?
A ton stands for a short ton mainly in the US, a long ton in the UK, or a metric ton in some other countries. On the other hand, a tonne means only a metric ton.
🙋 A metric ton weighs exactly 1000 kilograms.
A US ton or short ton weighs around 907.185 kilograms.
An imperial ton or long ton weighs about 1016.047 kilograms.
What is formula for converting cubic yards to tons using density?
We estimate mass of a substance from its volume using the formula:
- mass = density ⨯ volume
To find the mass in metric tons from the volume in cubic yards:
To find the mass in US tons from the volume in cubic yards:
- Substitute in the formula the density in US tons per cubic yards and the volume in cubic yards.
To find the mass in imperial tons from the volume in cubic yards:
- Substitute in the formula the density in imperial tons per cubic yards and the volume in cubic yards.
How to use cubic yards to tons converter
If you want to know how much space 2 metric tons of mercury occupies using our cubic yards to metric tons converter:
- Select Metals for
Substancein the first row.
- Choose Mercury from the drop-down list in the second row. The calculator displays
Densityas 13,546 kg/m3.
- Check that the unit for
Massis t (for metric tons).
- Enter 2 in the input box for
That's all. The tool displays the volume in cubic yards - 0.1931 cu yd.
Let's try another problem:
❓ How many tons are 15 cubic yards of topsoil?
Our list doesn't contain 'Topsoil'. So, follow the instructions below to find the mass of topsoil in metric tons:
- The standard density of topsoil is 1600 kg/m3. Enter 1600 in the input box for
- Enter 15 in the input box for
The answer is 18.35 t of topsoil!
How many cubic yards is 3 tons of rock?
In construction, we consider the density of rock is 1.5 short tons per cubic yard. To find the rock's volume in cubic yards, multiply 3 tons by rock's density in tons per cubic yard. Therefore, 3 short tons of rock has a volume of 4.5 cubic yards.
Are short tons the same as metric tons?
No. A short ton or the US ton weighs about 907.185 kg whereas a metric ton or tonne is equal to 1000 kg.
How do I convert the mass in metric tons to US tons?
To convert the mass in metric tons (tonnes) to the US tons (short tons), multiply the mass in metric tons by 1.10231. For example,
- 3 t = 3 × 1.10231 = 3.307 short tons.
How do I convert the mass in metric tons to long tons?
To convert the mass in metric tons (tonnes) to the long tons (imperial tons), multiply the mass in metric tons by 0.984207. For example,
- 3 t = 3 × 0.984207 = 2.9526 long tons.
How do I convert cubic yards into metric tons?
To convert a cubic yard measurement to a metric ton measurement:
- Multiply the substance's volume in cubic yards by 0.76 to express the volume in cubic meters.
- Multiply the volume in cubic meters by the substance's density in kg/m3. Now you have the substance's mass in kilograms.
- Divide this value by 1,000 to convert from kilograms to metric tons.