cm to ft in. converter
Our cm to ft in. converter can instantly convert centimeters to feet and inches. This is an ideal tool to aid with length conversion between metric and US customary system units.
Below we've added a short text detailing:
- How to convert cm to ft and in;
- How to do the inverse conversion of inches and feet to centimeters;
- Conversion examples; and
- How to use mixed measurements.
What are cm?
Cm is the abbreviation of centimeters, which represent 1/100 th of a meter (0.01), the base length unit of the International System of Units (SI). Using the inverse conversion, a meter represents 100 centimeters.
What does ft and in. mean?
Ft and in. stand for feet and inches, respectively. These are both length units from the US customary system of units, with a foot being equal to exactly 12 inches. To write a measurement using both units, you should use feet first and then convert the decimal part to inches. E.g., 5.6 feet is 5 feet and 7.2 inches.
We can also refer to ft using ' (single quotation mark) and to in. using '' (double quotation mark).
Our cm to ft in converter supports many other units too! Feel free to experiment with it.
How do you convert cm to ft and in.?
To convert centimeters to feet and inches, follow these simple steps:
- Divide the measurement in centimeters by 30.48 to convert to feet.
- Round down the result to get the number of feet first and write it down. We'll use the decimal part (before rounding) to get the inches.
- Multiply this decimal part by 12 to obtain the number of inches.
E.g., if we wanted to convert 78 cm to ft and in.:
78 / 30.48 ≈ 2.56.
- Rounding down 2.56 means 2 ft.
0.56 × 12 = 6.72, therefore 78 cm equals 2 ft and 6.72 inches.
How to convert ft and in to cm
Converting ft and in. to cm is just as easy:
- Divide the number of inches by 12 and add the result to the number of feet. E.g.,
16 + 6/12 = 16.5
- Multiply this value by 30.48 to get the number of centimeters. In our example,
16.5 = 502.92.
Other length converters
Check other of our length converters similar to our cm to ft in. converter:
How much is 178 cm in ft and in.?
5 feet and 10 inches. 178 cm is approximately equal to 5.84 ft (
178 / 30.48 ≈ 5.84), and 0.84 ft are about 10 in. (
0.84 * 12 ≈ 10). Therefore 178 cm ≈ 5 ft 10 in.
What are mixed measurements?
Mixed measurements refer to measurements using a combination of units, such as feet and inches or meters and centimeters. The most common examples are using feet and inches to describe a person's height or using hours, minutes, and seconds to refer to the length of a movie.