Fence Material Calculator
Welcome to the fence material calculator, a tool created to obtain the amount of material to build the fence of your dreams.
- No matter if you selected wood fencing materials or vinyl fence materials. Calculating how much material you'll need is crucial.
- Once you've made the estimations, we recommend buying about 10% more fencing materials than calculated to correct mistakes or for future maintenance.
How to use this fence material calculator (and the equations behind it)
Number of posts and sections
To obtain these quantities, input the length your fence will have and the space between the posts (typically 6-8 feet or 2-3 meters).
The tool will use the following formulas:
- If you obtain a decimal in the formula (as usual), round it up to the nearest integer.
- and must use the same units. Our length converter can help.
Height of the posts
To obtain this quantity, you only need to input the height of the fences. As at least 1/3 of the post must be buried in the ground, the formula is as follows:
Number of rails needed
To know the number of rails, input the rails per section. Additionally, the number of sections must also be calculated.
Number of pickets needed
For the number of pickets, input the fence length, the picket width, and the picket spacing.
This is the equation behind:
- Fence length, picket width, and spacing must have the same units. Our distance converter calculator can help.
- Like with the formula, round up the to the nearest integer.
Concrete for post footing
The geometry determines how much concrete we'll need to secure the posts. Therefore, you'll need to input the shape and dimensions of the post to obtain the concrete volume. Look at the formulas in the post hole concrete calculator.
Other fence-building materials calculators
How many pickets do I need for a 100 feet fence?
To know how many pickets you need for a 100 feet fence, consider the picket width and spacing:
- If you use pickets of 5½" width with a 2½" spacing, you need 150 pickets; or
- If you use pickets of 3½” width with a 2½” spacing, you need 200 pickets.
- For other widths or spacings, use our fence material calculator.
What's the difference between a fence and a gate?
The difference between a fence and a gate is simple:
- A fence is a structure enclosing an area. Its purpose can be privacy, protection, decoration, or noise isolation.
- A door is used to access or exit an enclosed area, such as one enclosed by a fence.