The steps to calories calculator helps you to estimate the total amount of calories burned while walking. Have you ever wondered how many calories does 10,000 steps burn? Check our tool to find out!
Health benefits of walking
If we want to get out the bed in the morning, we will have to walk to our next location. Walking is an activity so easy to engage in that we can all do it without thinking, and it is associated with many health benefits:
Steps to calories burned
Walking doesn't require any equipment; it can be done almost anywhere, at any time of day. But how many calories do we burn while walking?
The energy you burn while walking depends on many factors, including:
Steps to calories calculator
Our steps to calories calculator uses a formula that takes into account the factors mentioned in the previous paragraph. That's why we need the following information:
- your weight - the heavier you are, the more calories you burn while walking;
- your height - it's needed to assess your stride length, and therefore calculate the distance you covered;
- the number of steps taken; and
- your pace - the faster you walk, the faster your heart beats and the more calories you burn.
How many calories does 10000 steps burn?
A lot of experts recommend 10,000 steps per day - let's find out how our steps to calories calculator works using this example!
- First, we need to enter a height and weight. Let's assume that our exemplary person weighs 70 kg (154 lb), and is 183 cm (6 ft) tall (don't worry - you can easily switch between SI and imperial units using our tool!);
- Let's enter the number of steps - 10,000; and
- We need to choose the pace - let's choose an average pace of 3 miles/hour (4.8 km/h).
Results: This person burns 404 kcal every 10,000 steps!
Calories per step
We estimate that the average person (someone who weighs approx. 70 kg or 160 lb) burns 0.04 kcal per step. As mentioned before, the energy expenditure depends on your height, weight, and pace, so this value might be different for you. If you are interested in how many calories you burn per step, hit the
Advanced mode button 😉
How can you increase your number of daily steps?
Implement the following tips to increase your number of daily steps (you will be surprised with the results!):
- walk to the local shops instead of driving;
- try to walk to work (for at least part of the way) - you can get off the bus one or two stops earlier or walk one way and use public transport on the way back;
- use the stairs instead of escalators and lifts whenever you can;
- take your dog on more frequent and longer walks;
- walk instead of sitting when you talk over the phone with someone; and
- measure the number of steps you take - research shows that people using pedometers walk more.