Gold Weight Calculator
The gold weight calculator will return the amount of gold or silver you need to make basic shapes like wires, cylinder bars, or sheets out of the precious metals. The calculator takes into account the dimensions of the basic shapes and estimates the volume. You can select from different types of gold standards to find the mass of gold or silver needed to build the chosen shape. You can also enter the cost of gold or silver per unit mass to estimate the expenses. Read on to understand how to calculate gold weight for coins or bars.
🔎 Also, check out our gold melt calculator to find the value of the gold based on its weight and purity.
Gold standards – fineness
Before estimating the mass and cost for the project, let's look at different gold standards to understand the calculation of gold weight. Fineness denotes the purity of a precious metal like gold, platinum, and silver. Often impurities are added to the pure or base metal to improve the overall properties. Such contaminants help enhance the durability and hardness of the objects made out of them. It also helps in introducing different colors and reduces the costs of jewelry or other products.
The fineness is denoted in the purity of platinum, gold, or silver alloy by parts per thousand of pure metal. For instance, the minimum gold standard is 333, which contains 33.3% of pure gold and 66.6% of other alloys. Similarly, other standards for gold are:
The gold also has a karat system (
k), which is the measure of gold purity in parts per 24 parts whole. Mathematically:
- – Karat rating of material;
- – Mass of pure gold in the alloy; and
- – Total mass of material.
How to calculate gold weight – Weight of a gold coin
To calculate gold weight:
- Select the shape from the list – sheet, wire, cylinder, or rondelle.
- Select the material to pick fineness, or you can directly enter the density of the material.
- Enter the percent of material wasted during melting and fabrication.
- Fill in the respective dimensions of the shapes.
- The gold weight calculator will return the mass of the object using the volume.
- Insert the cost per unit mass for the metal/alloy to receive a cost estimate.
- The calculator will return the cost of material used.
The calculator covers the basic shapes and if you wish to try other forms, say, the weight of a gold bar, you can try our metal weight calculator. Otherwise, if you know the price of your gold bar, you can use this tool as a gold price per gram calculator. If you're interested how much a certain amount of money would weigh in various denominations, you can check out the money weight calculator.
The cost estimate considers the wastage; therefore, it is the cost of material used and not the cost of shape fabricated.
Example: Using the gold weight calculator
Calculate the mass and cost of a sheet having the following dimensions: made using the fine gold. Take wastage percentage as
5% and price of gold as
$65.56 / g.
To calculate gold weight:
- Select the shape from the list as sheet.
- Select the material to pick fineness as
Gold - fine.
- Enter the percent of material wasted as
- Fill in the sheet's length, width, and thickness as
0.5 m, and
5 mm, respectively.
- The gold weight calculator will return the mass of the object, after accounting for wastage as
- Insert the cost per unit mass for the fine gold as
$65.56 / g.
- The calculator will return the cost of material used as
What do you mean by 18 karat gold?
18 karat gold refers to the 18 parts of pure gold per 24 parts whole. In other words, the 18 karat gold contains
18 / 24 = 0.75 or
75% of pure gold, and the rest 25% is an acceptable alloy like copper, zinc, or nickel.
How do I calculate mass of a gold sheet?
To calculate the mass of a gold sheet:
- Multiply the length, width, and thickness to obtain the volume of the gold sheet.
- Find the density of the gold using the fineness or karat value.
- Multiply the density and volume to obtain the mass of the gold sheet.
Similarly, you can also find the weight of the gold bar or any other shape using its dimensions.
What do you mean by gold fineness?
Gold fineness refers to the amount of pure gold in the whole per thousand parts. It is represented as 333, 585, 916, or 999. The
999 is the purest gold in quality and the most expensive. The minimum acceptable gold standard is the
8 karat gold.
How do I find karat value from mass of gold?
To find the karat value from the mass of gold:
- Divide the mass of pure gold in the alloy by the total mass.
- Multiply the resultant by 24 to obtain the karat value from the mass of gold.