Exponential Notation Calculator
Our exponential notation calculator is a simple tool that can help you find the E notation (scientific notation) for any number you provide.
Reading and writing numbers in scientific notation can feel a bit overwhelming at first, but it's, in fact, an easy and almost automatic task once you get the hang of it.
Here, in this short text, we will cover the following:
- What is the exponential scientific notation or E notation.
- What's the meaning of 1.0e-6?
- What does e mean in scientific notation?
- How to convert any number to E notation.
What is exponential notation?
Let's start with what exponential notation is. Exponential notation, or E notation, is one of many names referring to scientific notation.
It is a method to convert very small or very large numbers into a quickly readable format that doesn't keep out too much information about the number.
The only difference between regular scientific notation and exponential notation is the swap of the factor by or, less frequently, , both followed by the exponent .
Our exponential notation calculator automatically outputs any number you write converted to e notation. Read the following section to learn how to do it by yourself!
How to write in E notation?
To convert a number to exponential notation:
- Write down the number, e.g., 0.00023453.
- Move the decimal point to the right of the first non-zero digit.
- Compare to the original number:
- If the decimal moved left, the exponent is positive; else
- The exponent is negative.
- Count the number of places moved. This is the exponent.
- Write the first three non-zero digits (round the last) followed by
eand the exponent. Example:
Give it a try! Follow the steps and then compare the result with our exponential notation calculator.
Other scientific notation calculators
Here's a list of all of our other tools related to scientific notation:
What does E mean in scientific notation?
The letter E or e in scientific notation stands for 'exponent,' and it is used as a shortcut to represent multiplication by powers of ten. This way, any number written as
c×10ⁿ using a scientific notation can be written as
c e n. E.g.,
What is the meaning of 1.0e-6?
1.0e-6 is equal to 0.000001. 1.0e-6 is a number written using e notation (scientific notation). This is a short way of writing 1.0×10⁶, which is equal to 0.000001.