This ibuprofen dosage calculator, a variation of our dosage calculator, is a tool which calculates the maximum permissible ibuprofen dosage for kids. It will tell you how much solution of a known concentration or a tablet you need and what dose is not safe to exceed. Please keep in mind that recommended single or daily dosage may be different depending on your country.
We try our best to make our Omni Calculators as precise and reliable as possible. However, this tool can never replace a professional doctor's assessment.
Ibuprofen dosage for kids
The regularly prescribed dosage of ibuprofen for kids is 10 mg per 1 kg of body weight, and can be administered every 6 to 8 hours. If your child is in severe pain, you can use this ibuprofen calculator to calculate the one-time dose for your child. The meaning of each variable is described in detail below.
- Child's weight is self-explanatory - the body mass of the child.
- Medication type is either Infant drops, Liquid, Chewable tablets, Adult tablets or custom tablets/solution.
In case you choose a custom version, we'll need:
- Solution/Tablet strength is the concentration of ibuprofen in the solution/tablet, expressed as mg per ml (or mg per tablet). You should find that information on the bottle.
Maximum ibuprofen doses
Our ibuprofen dosage calculator will also specify the maximum permissible doses of ibuprofen, assuming that the maximum safe dosage is 40 mg per 1 kg of body weight. However, it should be evenly spread through the day, as the maximum single dose of ibuprofen - even for adults - is 400mg.
- Maximum daily drug is the maximum permissible dose of ibuprofen that your child can take during the day, expressed in mg. Remember that it shouldn't be taken all at once, but should be divided into equal amounts to be taken in intervals of between 6 and 8 hours.
- Maximum daily solution is the maximum daily dose recalculated into the volume of solution, for your ease. It uses the same concentration as earlier.
If you think your child needs more than the maximal dose, it's possible to use ibuprofen and paracetamol alternately. Please consult your pediatrician before administering more drugs to your child.
Using the ibuprofen calculator: an example
Let's assume that your child weighs 35 kg. Let's assume you want to give this drug to the child in the form of a custom solution, of a strength 30 mg/ml
- Medication type: Solution (custom)
- Solution strength: 30 mg/ml
- Maximum single solution amount: this is the maximum safe dose you can give to the child at one time. The ibuprofen amount divided by the concentration, In this case,
350/30 = 11.67 ml. Let's round it to 12 ml.
- Maximum single dose: the number of miligrams of ibuprofen which contains the maximum single solution amount, here: 350 mg.
- Maximum daily dose: this is the product of the maximum safe dosage and child's weight. In this case, it should be equal to
40 * 35 = 1400 mgper day. However, it's different if ibuprofen was not prescribed by a doctor and you use it as OTC drug. Then the maximum daily limit, regardless of the weight, is 1200 mg.
Make sure to check out the paracetamol dosage calculator as well.