If you care about your health and weight, this Harris-Benedict calculator (BMR calculator), which runs on the Harris-Benedict equation, is the perfect tool for you! In the following article we will explain to you how this simple tool works and how you can use it to your advantage.
What is a BMR calculator?
You Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is equivalent to the amount of energy (in the form of calories) that your body needs to function if it were to rest for 24 hours.
How can you calculate your BMR?
Calculating your basal metabolic rate is easy; all you need to measure is your weight and height, although your age and sex also come into play. The calculators for both sexes are as follows:
For men: BMR = 10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) – 5 x age (years) + 5
For women: BMR = 10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) – 5 x age (years) – 161
What is the Harris-Benedict equation?
The Harris Benedict Equation is a formula that uses your BMR and then applies an activity factor to determine your total daily energy expenditure (calories).
How to determine the Harris-Benedict equation?
To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
- Sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
- Lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
- Moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
- Very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
- If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & a physical job) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
Keeping a healthy diet and using the Harris-Benedict calculator to keep an eye on your BMR will make it easier for you to stay in good health. Thanks to the Harris-Benedict calculator and Harris-Benedict equation you can know the perfect amount of calories to eat if you want to keep your body weight as it is. If you are looking to gain or lose weight, you can also use this number as a point to eat more or less then, respectively. Please remember to consult a medical expert if you are looking to gain or lose a lot of weight.