Percent Off Calculator
Our percent off calculator helps you determine how much will you save during a sale, when the whole selection of merchandise is "X percent off!". Keep on reading - if you don't know how to figure out percentages, this calculator will surely save you a lot of trouble.
"Percent off" and discount
Actually, "percent off" and "a discount" are the exact same thing. Imagine it's Black Friday and all of the goods in a certain store are 75% off. Our sale calculator will figure out how much money stays in your pocket!
You can take a look at our discount calculator for more information on this topic 💰
How to figure out percentages
Our percent off calculator is a special case of a percentage change, more specifically it uses the percentage decrease formula. The process of calculating your discount is as follows:
- Enter the original price into our percent off calculator. For example, a TV set might originally set you back $5000.
- Determine the percentage discount - in our example store, everything is 75% off.
- The sum that stays in your pocket - your savings - is simply these two values multiplied by each other:
75% * $5000 = 0.75 * $5000 = $3750.
- The final price of the product on sale is the difference between the original price and savings:
$5000 = $3750 = $1250.
- You can also use the percent off calculator to determine how much more you have to pay if the price of the product goes up! Simply type a negative value into the "off" box - our calculator will use the percentage increase formula.
Make sure to check out our commission calculator if you're interested in the salesperson's fee as well.
🙋 We use percentages in almost all aspects of our life, not just finance. For example, we can also use percent to express the relative error between the observed and true values in any measurement. To learn how to do that, check our percent error calculator.
How to calculate percent off?
To calculate the new number:
- Divide the number by 100 (move the decimal place two places to the left).
- Multiply this new number by the percentage you want to take off.
- Subtract the number from step 2 from the original number. This is your percent off number.
How much is 20 percent off?
20 percent off depends on the original cost:
- Take the original number and divide it by 10.
- Double your new number.
- Subtract your doubled number from the original number.
- You have taken 20 percent off! For $30, you should have $24.
How much is 10 percent off?
Taking 10 percent off a number changes depending on the original number:
- Divide your number by 10.
- Subtract this new number from your original number.
- You’ve taken 10 percent off!
How much is 15 percent off?
Finding 15 percent off is affected by the original number:
- Divide your original number by 20 (halve it then divide by 10).
- Multiply this new number by 3.
- Subtract the number from step 2 off of your original number.
- You’ve just found your percentage off!
How much is 30 percent off?
To take 30 percent off a number:
- Divide the number by 10.
- Triple this new number.
- Subtract your triple from your starting number.
- That’s 30 percent off! For $30, you should have $21.
How much percent is off on Black Friday?
The percent you save on Black Friday and Cyber Monday changes depending on the item and store you are looking at. The average percent off on Black Friday is 35%, but be sure to shop around to make sure you’re getting the best deal!