Pixels to Inches Converter
Pixels to inches converter does precisely what the name says... converts pixels to inches 🙃. However, it also works as an inches to pixels calculator, where you can perform the calculation the other way round and convert inches to pixels. In the article below, we describe how to convert pixels to inches and how many pixels there are in an inch.
If you are interested in different conversions, check our other calculators:
What is a pixel?
Below are some facts about pixels:
- A pixel is a unit of measurement commonly used in graphic and web design.
- We can abbreviate it using "px".
- You can convert mm to pixels – the length of a pixel is 0.26 mm or 0.0104 inches (provided that the resolution equals 96).
- We use this unit to ensure that a given element will display as the same size no matter what screen resolution displays it.
- Imagine a CRT computer monitor from the 1990s. The smallest dot it can display measures approximately 1/100th of an inch. The pixel unit got its name from those screen pixels.
- Nowadays, screens can display much smaller dots, although you need a magnifying glass to see them. Devices may change, but a pixel always looks the same – on a printer, a 1-pixel line looks the same as it would look on a computer monitor.
Important — in digital imaging, the pixel has a different meaning. We can describe it as a physical point in a raster image or the smallest addressable element in an all points addressable display device. In short – this is the smallest controllable element of a picture represented on the screen.
Graphic and web design may also use different units, like em. Check our other calculators related to this px to inches converter:
How to convert pixels to inches?
Converting pixels to inches is really easy. You need to know only one value that is used in the px to inches converter – PPI.
Let's assume that PPI equals 96.
PPI = 96 px / inch
1 pixel = 1 inch / 96
1 pixel = 0.010417 inch
You can also make a conversion using other length units, e.g., convert pixel to cm:
1 pixel = 0.026 cm
Inches to pixels – how many pixels in an inch?
As you probably realized, converting inches to pixels is a piece of cake too. To convert inches to px, just follow this rule:
1 inch = PPI.
That's it! If PPI equals 96, one inch has 96 pixels.
How to use the pixels to inches converter? 1080 pixels to inches – a practical example.
We will use a practical example to show how easy it is to use our pixels to inches converter. We will try to convert 1080 pixels to inches, as we often use that number in the tech world.
You need to enter a PPI value to convert pixels to inches:
PPI = 96 pixels per inch
We will use the proportions to make our calculations...
1 pixel = 0.010417 inch
1080 pixel = x inch
1080 * 0.010417 = 1 * x
11.25 = x
When you want to convert 1080 pixels to inches, you get 11.25 inches.
Now you know everything 😊 Feel free to use our px to inches converter and input any values you want and need!
How do I convert pixels to inches?
Take the number of pixels and divide by the display's PPI (pixels per inch) specification. For example, 200 pixels on an 81 PPI screen would convert to
200 / 81 = 2.5 inches.
How many pixels to an inch at 300 dpi?
300. DPI (dots per inch) and PPI (pixels per inch) are the same thing but are used for different devices. DPI is applied to printers, where dots make up the text and images. PPI is used for screens (monitors, phones, etc.), which use pixels to form images.
How many pixels is equal to one inch?
The answer depends on the PPI (pixels per inch) of the screen in question. For example, a 27-inch 1080p monitor has 81 pixels for each inch of the screen. If you measure the screen, you will find it's 13.2 inches high. So that's
1080 / 13.2 = 81 PPI (rounding down to the nearest pixel).
How many pixels to make an inch on an iPhone 13?
460 pixels. The iPhone 13 has a screen resolution of 2532 × 1170 pixels and a 6.1-inch (diagonal) screen at 460 ppi (pixels per inch).