We created this soil calculator to be a tool that will help you calculate how much soil you need - whether it is topsoil, compost, mulch or topdressing. After all, you don't want to overspend on materials for your garden, do you? Keep reading to get a better understanding of how our topsoil calculator works, and never worry about these tedious calculations again!
How much soil do I need?
The first step is establishing the volume of soil needed. You can do it in a following way:
- Determine the length and width of the area you want to cover with soil. For example, we can assume an area of length L = 14 yd and width b = 4 yd.
- Calculate the area, multiplying the length by width. In our case, A = 14 * 4 = 56 yd^2. You can also type the area directly into our calculator if you choose some more sophisticated shape.
- Establish the depth - thickness of the topsoil layer. Let's say it's d = 0.5 yd.
- Multiply the area and dirt layer thickness to obtain its volume: 56 * 0.5 = 28 cu yd.
- The volume of sand required is equal to this value. Our soil calculator will display it for you.
All right, but how how much is a yard of dirt?
To calculate the weight of a cubic yard of soil, you simply have to multiply the volume by density. Just type the density of soil (you will probably find it on the packaging) into the topsoil calculator and watch it perform this calculation for you.
Once you know the total weigh of soil you have to buy, you won't have to worry about overspending on this material. But how much exactly will you spend? Our dirt calculator can help you with that - all you have to do is enter the price of topsoil (per unit of mass, such as tonne, or per unit of volume, for example cubic yard). The calculator will display the total cost of the soil you need. Now it's the time to begin planning the plant spacing!