Cat Age Calculator
If you're a lucky owner of a cat, you are probably wondering whether your cat is still in his youth, or maybe is going through his midlife crisis. Look no further - this cat age calculator will give you all information you need, converting between cat years and human years.
Cat years calculator principles
It's a common misconception that one year in the life of a cat is equivalent to seven human years. In reality, the cat years calculation is a bit more complicated. Kittens grow fast while they're still young, but the older they are, the slower the aging process becomes. It means that after one year, your cat is as old as a seven-year-old human child, but for older cats, each year is equivalent to only four human years.
Naturally, not all cats age alike. A cat that lives outdoors will generally have a shorter life than an indoor cat. Additionally, while typical felines live about 10-15 years, certain breeds age slower or faster. Still, this cat age calculator should give you a good idea of the seniority of your cat.
Would you like to find out even more about cats? 🤔 Try one of our handy tools!
Convert cat years to human years with the cat year chart
The easiest way to convert between cat years and human years is to use this cat age calculator. Alternatively, you can take a look at the cat years chart below that sums up the aging process of a typical feline.
|cat years||human years|
How to estimate the age of a cat?
If you have adopted a stray cat, it might be difficult to accurately estimate its age. Still, there are a few indicators that might give you a hint about the age:
- Cat's teeth. If you had to settle for just one indicator, this should be it. Kittens have their first permanent set of teeth when they're about four months old. If the cat's teeth are white, you could assume it's about a year old. A more yellowish color hints at the age of one to two years old, while tartar build-up or missing teeth indicate an even older cat.
Cat's eyes. Young cats usually have bright, sparkling eyes. Some cloudiness might indicate that your cat is already 10 or more years old. Additionally, the iris of an older cat's eye appears to be a bit jagged.
Cat's coat. The fur of a kitten is soft and fine, while older cats tend to have a coarser coat. If you find some patches of gray or white, the cat might already be senior.
How do I calculate my cat's age?
To calculate cat age:
- If the cat is 6 years old or more:
- Subtract 6 from its age in years.
- Multiply the result by 4.
- Add 40 years to the result to get your cat's human age.
- If the cat is less than 6 years old:
- Multiply your cat's age by 19.
- Divide the result by 3.
- Add 1 year to the result of the previous step to get your cat's age in years.
How do I calculate my age in cat years?
To calculate your age in cat years:
- If you're forty years old or more:
- Subtract 40 years from your age.
- Divide the result by 4.
- Add 6 years to the result of the division to get your age in cat years.
- If you're less than forty:
- Subtract 1 from your age in years.
- Multiply the result by 3.
- Divide the multiplication by 19 to get your age in kitten years.
At what age can a cat get pregnant?
Cats reach sexual maturity at the age of four months. This means that cats as young as that can get pregnant. However, early pregnancy is definitely not recommended for kittens. Consider sterilizing your cat to avoid unnecessary pregnancies and more stray kittens.
How do I tell a cat's age?
To tell the cat's age, you can check:
- The teeth - Their state, presence (missing or not), and color will indicate if a cat is young or old;
- The eyes - Cloudy eyes are a sign of a senior cat;
- The fur - Coarser fur and white or gray patches tell you that the cat has seen some years.