Fishing Reel Line Capacity Calculator
If you are looking for a fishing reel line capacity calculator, you have come to the right place. Our tool finds fishing reel line and braid capacity for every reel type, including spinning reels, spincast reels, fly reels, and baitcast reels.
Read on to learn how to use the braid line capacity calculator and what the line capacity of a fishing reel is.
How to use the fishing reel line capacity calculator
The fishing reel line capacity calculator is straightforward. Just follow these steps:
- Take a look at your reel.
- On your spool, packaging, or fishing reel, find two needed values: line diameter and line length. For example "0.23mm-200m" or "0.23/200".
- Use these values in our fishing reel line capacity calculator in the section with published line parameters.
- Move to the next section and enter your new line diameter.
- Our fishing reel fill calculator will tell you how long could your new line be.
You can use our tool with every type, color, diameter, and length of line or braid.
How do I calculate the fishing reel line capacity?
The formula we use in the braided line capacity calculator is the following:
line diameter² × line length = spool capacity
We are using the values given by you to calculate the fishing line capacity of your reel. If you have a new line with a known line diameter, your new reel line capacity is determined as:
new line length = spool capacity / new line diameter²
What's more, the fishing reel fill calculator can do the opposite computations. If you have a new line with a known line length, your new reel line capacity is:
new line diameter = √(spool capacity / line length)
The above calculations are based on the cylinder volume formula. Check our cylinder volume calculator to learn more about it!
What is a fishing reel?
A fishing reel is one of the most important components of a fishing rod. We use it in winding and stowing fishing lines. Therefore, it is vital to know how much fishing line there is on a reel, especially if you're using lines with different diameters.
What is the line capacity of a fishing reel?
The line capacity of a fishing reel is the maximum capacity of your spool. In short, it defines how many lines you can put on your reel before it fell off from the spool. To find out what the line capacity of a fishing reel is, you can use, e.g., our braid line capacity calculator.
What are the types of fishing line?
There are five main types of fishing lines:
- Monofilament line is made of nylon polymer strands, the most elastic line type. This material is very sensitive to sunshine, which makes the material fragile.
- Braided line comprises various materials from two or more strands. Very strong for a given diameter, but the braid has no stretch, which means that you have to use lighter rods.
- Fluorocarbon line is completely invisible underwater. Like braided lines, fluorocarbons are soft and have no stretch. It sinks fast in the water so that you can see bites earlier.
- Wire fishing line is the next leader material used during fishing. The wire is used when fishing toothy fish. It is very popular for boat fishing methods like trolling, where you need a strong and no-stretch line.
- Fly fishing line weight allows us to cast very light flies. There are two main types of this line: sinking and floating.