Melatonin dosage calculator tells you a specific melatonin dose needed for a given indication (condition). This tool will also compute the number of tablets, strips, spray applications, or the liquid volume required for a chosen therapy period. 🛏️
Would you like to know:
- How to take melatonin?
- How many mg of melatonin should I take?
- How much melatonin is too much?, or
- How long does melatonin take to work?
If the answer is yes, follow the article below! You may also read about melatonin side effects and dosage of melatonin for kids.
What is melatonin?
Melatonin is a natural hormone produced by the pineal gland - a small organ located near the center of the brain. Melatonin regulates the sleep-wake cycle of the human brain.
Melatonin is produced artificially to cure disorders caused by the melatonin insufficiency or its improper secretion.
Reasons to take melatonin include:
- Troubles with falling asleep;
- Jet lag;
- Sleep disorders in blind people;
- Endometriosis; and
- Insomnia caused by beta-blockers (hypertension drugs).
Average dose of melatonin for adults ranges between 0.5-10 mg. The harmful effects of melatonin begin to dominate at around 30 mg - however, this maximum dosage threshold might differ in individual cases.
Melatonin side effects 📍
Melatonin shouldn't cause any side effects when used properly; however, it is essential to know the max dose of melatonin and lookout for all the alarming symptoms listed below.
- Signs of allergic reaction: swelling of your body parts (especially face), hives, trouble breathing - call for help immediately!
- Increased sweating
- Weird dreams
- Feeling irritable, depressed mood, mood shifting
- Stomach pain, headache
Would you like to know how much sleep you should get every day? Try the sleep cycle calculator. 😴
How much melatonin should I take?
In this paragraph, we'll tell you the typical melatonin dosage for adults for all the enumerated indications. You may also use our melatonin dosage charts to find your perfect way of administration.
|💡 Remember: melatonin dosage by weight is not a proper way to dose the drug. Melatonin requires fixed amounts of medication for all the different indications.|
|💡 When you ask yourself "how much melatonin should i take" always consider the lowest dose possible, and proceed to the larger amount only if the smaller one fails to work.|
Trouble falling asleep
Dosage: 0.3-5 mg daily, taken 1 hour before sleep.
Dosage: 1-6 mg:
- Eastbound travel (US→Europe): Take melatonin for two days before the flight, around 7 PM. Continue taking melatonin for 4 days after arrival, right before going to bed.
- Westbound travel (Europe→US): Take melatonin for 4 days after arrival, right before going to bed.
Sleep cycle disorders in blind people
Dosage: 0.5 mg, taken around 9-10 PM, before going to sleep.
Beta-blockers insomnia Dosage: 2.5 mg daily, for up to 4 weeks.
Dosage: 10 mg daily, for up to 8 weeks.
Everything's done? Try out the variety of our dosage tools:
Melatonin for kids
When we ask ourselves "How many mg of melatonin for an adult do we need?", we shouldn't forget that children can possibly take melatonin too. Of course, such an application requires strict indications and medical consultation.
Generally, it is not recommended for healthy children to take melatonin on a daily basis.
Always follow your doctor's advise and recommendations.
- Dosage: Children should start their dosage at the lowest possible amount, that is 0.5-1 mg, taken 30-60 min before sleep.
- Always take care of your child's good sleep hygiene - limit screen device use and set the fixed time of going to sleep.